Monday, December 14, 2015

Class on Self Publishing


I was asked to teach a course on Self-Publishing. It is something i know quite a lot about. In my former life (before writing) I had a printing company and worked on books all the time.
It was held at the Fairhope Library in the Boardroom, a sumptuous venue.
Fifteen 'brave ' people signed up.
Having never taught a class before, I prepared for days, including creating handouts.
The students were wonderful, attentive and full of enthusiasm and questions.
After the second class, I sent out a survey, and here are a few responses I received:
  • I came in knowing next to nothing about self-publishing, so I found the entire class material relevant (and so useful!) 
  • I don't know if you realize it, but teaching to the type of class you had is the most difficult:  Teaching to an eclectic group of people with a wide range of knowledge and experience.  It is especially tough to teach computer skills to a "mature" audience without completely losing the beginners or else putting the experienced ones to sleep.  You pulled it off!

  • What I liked best about the class was you.  You spoke with elegance and knowledge.  But did not make me feel stupid.  I will probably take

    the class again just to better understand the process.

  • John, you did a terrific, professional job with the class. You have a relaxed manner of delivery which puts the class at ease. I think everyone would take just about any class you put in front of them. I know I would. 

    I enjoyed the class and look forward to teaching another one or two in March.

    Thanks so much to my students.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment